8/31/08

A pretty fruit, not so pretty on taste


This pretty little fruit comes from a Pindo Palm and are called Pindo Dates in my part of the south. In other parts of the south, like in Florida, the tree is known as the Jelly Palm. The Pindo Palm I've linked to is not mine although it appears the dimensions of the pictured palm and the one in my backyard are fairly similar except I can't get a good shot of it at the present time for obvious reasons.

While the fruit is attractive to look at, that's pretty much all it has going for it! It is juicy and tender but tastes like poison! I know some people enjoy them, but it's definitely an acquired taste! It would probably make an interesting-tasting pie but I think I'll stick with apple!

2 comments:

Tug said...

Funny, I posted a 'berry' picture I took at the Denver Zoo last weekend. I was wondering what kind it was, but have no idea - wonder if they're the same?

Queen Goob said...

Looks like you and i have some catch up to do!

Good to see you!