7/1/08

The Globe

This is a landmark in Savannah although it goes largely unnoticed by those of us who live here. In fact, believe it or not, I was somewhat surprised that it was standing right where it was supposed to be the morning I took this shot because I drive by it all the time but very rarely see it!

In late summer 1999, Hurricane Floyd caused many to evacuate. After hurricane season was over that year, the Globe was repainted as you now see it, with a snarling-looking hurricane headed towards the southeastern coastline!



The Globe didn't always look like this. If you've ever seen the movie, Forces of Nature starring Sandra Bullock and Ben Affleck, there is a scene in which they are right in front of the Globe as it looked then. I tried finding a picture of it online but was unsuccessful.

2 comments:

Tug said...

That's an awesome globe - huge 'ole thing...but I'm with you - there is so much I miss just because I'm not paying attention or looking. I'm trying to change that now that I'm taking pictures... ;-)

Ivanna Takurpicture said...

Tug, isn't that sad that we tend to be so busy with life that we forget what's around us sometimes? Like you, I plan on taking in more of the "little things".