7/12/08

mysterious critters

Last month, my daughter and I spotted this insect outside. It's red with black stripes and it crawled super fast on the ground. It was the first time in my near-nine years of being here that I had ever seen such a thing. My daughter thought it resembled an ant while I thought it looked like a wingless wasp. Turns out we were both right!

I did research but found out very little. It's amazing what the news will teach you! I rarely watch the news but did so last night because we were having a rough patch of weather and I wanted to see if we were expecting anymore. On came a story about a man who's been dealing with these kinds of insects. They are called Red Velvet Ants but are actually wasps and their stings pack such a wallop, that they are nicknamed Cow Ants because they could kill a cow!



2 comments:

Queen Goob said...

We have cow ants here, just don't see them very often. I had NO idea they were wasps.....WEIRD! I'm not a fan of stinging bugs; you have just freaked me out!

THANKS!!!

At least now that I know, my cows will be safe.

Oh wait, I don't have cows, that's my dog.

Ivanna Takurpicture said...

QB thank God I don't see them often 'cause that thing freaked me out too!! The news actually said that when you see one of them, make sure you're wearing thick-soled shoes if you plan on stomping on it!

And you may not have cows but Schwartz is part Cattle Dog so I think I may have something to worry about! ;)